- 2 cups cooked chickpeas  (garbanzo beans)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (45 mL) tahini (optional)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive or flaxseed oil
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) reserved liquid from chickpeas
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin salt to taste
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. If the hummus is too thick, add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of extra virgin olive oil or essential fatty acid oil such as flax or hemp and add more lemon juice.
Serve as a dip for vegetables or spread for crackers or warm pita bread.
Makes 2 cups (500 mL).