This soup is delicious and easy to prepare.
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coriander
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cooked black beans or 2 cans (14 oz/400 g) of Eden organic black beans
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable stock
- 1 red pepper chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- Juice of medium freshly squeezed lemon
- ½ cup (125 mL) essential fatty acids such as organic flax, hemp, or extra virgin olive oil
- chopped green onions, cilantro, sour cream, or yogurt for garnish
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, sauté onions, garlic, cumin, and coriander in olive oil until onions are soft.
- Add beans, vegetable stock or puréed tomatoes, red pepper, parsley, and cilantro.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Purée soup in blender or use a hand-held blender in the soup pot. (A hand-held blender is the greatest gadget—you will never have to transfer hot soup to a blender again.) If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock.
- Add cayenne pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in freshly squeezed lemon juice and essential fatty acid oil.
- Serve garnished with chopped green onions, cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.
This soup can be frozen without the garnishes.
Makes 6 servings.