- 3 cups (750 mL) brown rice, cooked
- 2 tsp (20 mL) rice wine vinegar
- Nori (seaweed) sheets, one per roll
- Handful of white sesame seeds
- 4 cups (1 L) of vegetables of your choice, unless otherwise noted, sliced into long, thin strips:
- Lettuce, green or red, shredded
- Snow peas, whole or sliced lengthwise in two
- Zucchini, yellow or green
- Peppers, red, yellow, or orange
Optional: 1 cup (250 mL) cooked prawns, shrimp, soy tempeh, salmon, or any other mildly flavored fish
You will need sushi rolling mats, which are reasonably priced at Asian supermarkets. You will need one mat per person rolling sushi.
- To cooled brown rice, add the rice wine vinegar.
- As the rice cools, slice your vegetables (and protein) into matchstick shapes and set aside.
- Spread a nori sheet. On it, deposit a thin layer of rice, leaving a strip of nori bare at the top edge.
- Starting at the bottom, formulate a row of the vegetables (and seafood) of your choice.
- Toss on a few sesame seeds.
- Roll from the bottom and seal at the top by wetting the edge of seaweed with water.
- Slice into bite-size pieces and serve with minced ginger, wasabe, and organic soy sauce.
Makes 12-16 rolls, depending on their thickness.