This is a rich soup and makes a hearty meal when saved with warm buns or bread topped with better butter.
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced celery
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped red pepper
- Sea salt or mineralized salt to taste
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped cilantro
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh oregano
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh basil
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock or use non-hydrolized vegetable boullion cubes with water
- 1 ½ cups of cooked garbanzo or pinto beans
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato purée
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) chopped fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) dry red wine
- ½ cup (125 mL) dry whole wheat pasta, cooked firm and set aside
- ½ cup (125 mL) EFA-rich oil such as organic hemp, flax, or extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Freshly ground coarse black pepper, for garnish
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- Fizzle garlic, onions, and celery in olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot.
- Add carrots, red peppers, salt, and fresh herbs.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, beans, tomato purée, tomatoes, and red wine.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Add pasta, cook until tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in EFA-rich oil, and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, black pepper, and parsley.
Makes 8 servings.