Most families probably have a variation on this appetizer to whip up at birthdays and holidays. This version “cheats” on the side of health with fresh herbs and yogurt, and homemade mayonnaise.
- 1 package of pre-frozen cooked spinach, defrosted
- ⅔ cup (170 mL) plain yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) homemade mayonnaise or store bought avocado mayonnaise
- 1 8 oz can (225 mL) water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh chives, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large, crusty whole grain round loaves
- Optional ¼ cup (60 mL) black olives, chopped
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well, then chill.
- Just before serving, cut a bowl-shaped depression into the bread loaf, then fill with the dip.
- Around it on a serving tray, pile chunks of the inner bread and extra loaf as needed.
Makes about 1 ½ cups (375 mL) of dip.