We love granola because it doubles as a great dry energy food. Take a snack bag with you when you are hiking or on outdoor summer strolls.
- 4 cups (1 L) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) rye
- 1 cup (250 mL) wheat germ
- ½ cup (125 mL) pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) almonds, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) almond butter (optional)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) organic maple syrup, or half and half (⅛ cup; 30 mL) organic blackstrap molasses
- 2 Tbsp (45 mL) water
- ¾ – 1 cup (175-250 mL) dried fruit (chopped if necessary), e.g. apricots, dates, raisins, cranberries, soft goji berries
- Preheat oven to 275°F (140°C).
- In baking/roasting pan, add and mix oats, rye, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, and almonds.
- In another bowl, using a fork, mix almond butter, syrup (and blackstrap molasses) and water. Drizzle over panned ingredients and mix.
- Cover and roast for 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool, then mix in dried fruits of your choice and store in refrigerator.
- Serve as desired with milk substitute (almond, brown rice).
Makes about 8 cups (2 kg).