- 2 free-range egg yolks at room temperature
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) dry mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) avocado oil*
- ½ cup (125 mL) flaxseed oil, or Omega Essential Balance Oil, or Udo’s Choice Ultimate Oil Blend, or Omega Garlic-Chili Flax Seed Oil (for a spicy mayonnaise)
*If cooking with or heating mayonnaise, use 1 cup avocado oil and leave out flax or omega oil as they should not be heated.
- Combine egg, mustard, lemon juice, and salt and blend thoroughly in the food processor.
- While the processor is still running, slowly add oils drop by drop. Mayonnaise will slowly thicken.
- Adjust salt and lemon juice to taste.
Mayonnaise Variations: Many ingredients can be added to this basic mayonnaise recipe: fresh, finely chopped herbs; dill, parsley, tarragon, and basil work well. You can also add any or a combination of the following:
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1 puréed avocado
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) puréed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped green onion
Makes 1 cup (250 mL).