When I am making any other rice dish, I make extra rice for this wonderful dessert or breakfast treat.
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked brown rice, prepared according to instructions on package
- 6 eggs, well-beaten
- 1½ cups (375 mL) milk (almond, coconut or rice milk can be substituted)
- ½ cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL) cinnamon
- 1 apple, grated (optional)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) freshly ground flax(optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flax oil (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) yogurt (optional)
- Mix together first six ingredients (and the grated apple if you are using it) and pour into a buttered casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 30–40 minutes or until firm. The pudding should be thick, not runny.
- Once cooled, stir in flax, oil, or yogurt if desired.
This can be served hot or cold for breakfast. Applesauce or whipped cream can top this great treat.
Makes 4 servings.