This recipe can be used as the filling for enchiladas, tortillas, seven-layer dip, or as a main course with a salad.
- 3 to 4 cups (750 mL−1 L) cooked black beans or pinto beans or 2 cans (16 oz/454g) organic beans from Eden Foods
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- ½ cup (125 mL) salsa
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅛ cup (30 mL) essential fatty acid rich oil (hemp or flax)
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Monterey Jack or sharp cheddar cheese
- Drain and rinse beans if using canned beans.
- In a deep skillet, frizzle onion with olive oil, garlic, coriander, and cumin until onion is soft.
- Slowly add beans, ½ cup (125 mL) at a time.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher.
- Add salsa and chopped cilantro. Heat thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and stir in essential fatty acid oil.
- Top with grated cheese.
Refried beans can also be placed in soft tortilla shells with guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, sprouts, tomatoes, salsa, and cheese.
Makes 6 servings.