When my children were small and not too impressed with vegetables, I would purée the entire pot. They loved this soup with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and big slices of whole grain bread.
- 6 cups (1.5L) vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2½ cups (625 mL) raw lentils
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped carrots
- 1½ cups (375 mL) chopped onions
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced potato or yams
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL)oregano black pepper to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) red wine
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Omega Essential Balance Oil or Udo’s Choice Ultimate Oil Blend
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped parsley
- ½ cup (125 mL) minced green onions and parsley for garnish
- Simmer vegetable stock, bay leaf, and lentils for four to five hours.
- In a separate pan sauté carrots, onions, celery, garlic, potato, and herbs and spices.
- Add to lentil mixture and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and red wine and simmer until vegetables are cooked to desired tenderness. Remove bay leaf before serving. The longer this soup simmers, the better.
- Remove from heat and stir in Omega Essential Blend Oil.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and green onions.
Makes 6 servings.